Developing An Estate Plan That Fits Your Needs
Many people view estate planning as simply a way to prepare a will and decide “who gets what.” While this is a major focus of estate planning, it is not the only goal. A comprehensive estate plan should address all the legal considerations involved in planning for the future. For example, through careful estate planning, you can:
- Reduce your estate taxes
- Avoid the costly and time-consuming probate process through legal tools, such as revocable living trusts
- Reduce the risk of estate-related disputes down the road
- Select guardians for your minor children
- Designate trusted people to make decisions on your behalf if you become incapacitated, using documents such as a durable power of attorney, pre-need guardian designation and health care surrogate designation
- Set out your medical choices and end-of-life decisions through documents such as a living will and do-not-resuscitate order
- Plan for Medicaid eligibility or other sources of funding for long-term care
- Provide for a disabled adult child through a special needs trust
- Secure any veterans’ benefits you may be entitled to, including aid and attendance
As you can see, there is no one-size-fits-all approach to estate planning. With so many tools and strategies available to meet your goals, it’s important to seek guidance from a trusted attorney.
How We Can Help
At William A. Johnson, P.A., a Florida-based estate planning and elder law firm, we can help you gain peace of mind about the future through careful estate planning. Our lawyer will sit down with you one-on-one, getting to know you on a personal level to better understand your unique situation and goals. Together, you will develop a customized plan tailored to fit your needs.
As The Florida Bar-certified specialist in elder law with nearly 25 years of experience, attorney Johnson is well equipped to help you navigate important estate planning decisions.
The first step is to contact our firm for an initial consultation. Call our office in Melbourne at 321-426-1865 to learn more.